Mary Ellen and I joined the Unity Church of the Hills 20 years ago. We transferred our membership from the Appleton, WI Unity Center in Appleton, WI. We have seen and learned first-hand, about the power of prayer, intention, and the Law of Attraction by witnessing those small groups blossom to full-time ministries with their own church buildings.
Volunteering at Unity is a rich and rewarding experience. If you wish to make a difference, make friends, get connected, have some fun, and experience the joy of “giving back” while often learning a new skill, then become a volunteer! The wonderful staff at Unity is set up to make your volunteering experience rewarding and successful.
In the past, I served with:
- Site Preparation Team (cleared trees, brush, and rocks for the new church – 1 yr.)
- Marketing Outreach Team
- Basic Ballroom Dance Instructor
- Landscaping Team and Lawn Care (Mowed section or property for 2 years)
- Ambassadors Team (Greeting attendees and answering questions) Technical Support Team (recording, soundboard, sound set up, etc. 2 yrs.)
- Platform Team (platform duties for Sunday services (2 years)
- Member Unity Board of Trustees (preparing for and during Unity Oaks Expansion (3 yrs.)
- Ladies High Tea (annual server, greeter, and helper)
- Hands-on Housing Team
- Volunteer speaker as requested
Currently, I serve on the Garden Committee, the Men’s Fellowship Network, and Staying Healthy/Staying Connected group. I am also the “weed whacker” and “chain-saw guy” for the Community Garden here at the Church.
Like many, my spiritual path has had many turns and I’m so glad it led to Unity over 35 years ago. Unity is a place I have found to gather with fellow seekers, not people who have all the answers. I have found an inclusive fellowship, not an exclusive group, and people who value me for who I am, not just what I do. Most of all people to love and be loved. Drive under the UCOH Arch into our large, serene and beautiful campus and see how a former goat farm has become one of the leading national Unity congregations and fellowships. No matter who we are, how much or how little we have, how large or small our challenges, there is a home for all of us in the welcoming arms of UCOH!
Being a volunteer is an honor and privilege. I am humbled to be selected for being the October Volunteer of the Month. The vision of our founding members, Joan and Fred Howes, has indeed blessed the world. We are grateful!